Darcy Pippins of Norman, Oklahoma shared her 2014 AP Spanish Language and Culture results this summer. What is interesting to recognize is that achieving AP Exam success by acquiring language through only TPRS is possible. I will share some of what Darcy does. Some results are from students that were in Spanish for 3 years and sometimes 4 years. It is evident that input-based instruction works. Darcy shared various details of her program but I wanted to show teachers that through storytelling and reading students are exposed to everything that can be expected on the AP exams. Stay posted for more details about Darcy’s work since this year there are 40 students enrolled in AP Language.
What to expect on the AP Language and Culture exams?
Spanish, French & German:
- Reading (authentic texts, literature, and dialogues)
- Listening (interviews, podcasts, radio broadcasts)
- Speaking (simulated conversations, 2 minute cultural comparison)
- Writing (formal letter or email and persuasive essay)
- No EXPLICIT grammar is assessed\
- 27 Students took the AP Spanish Language and Culture exam
- 24 students passed with a score of 3 or better
- 15 students had Darcy as their Spanish teacher for 4 years (Spanish II, III, IV and AP) and had no EXPLICIT grammar instruction
- 12/15 passed the exam with a 3 or better
- ALL non-native students had 3+ years of COMPREHENSIBLE INPUT and read at least 4 novels a year
- 3 students skipped Spanish IV and took AP Spanish as juniors (all 3 passed the exam)
- 1 student took a semester off to take AP Latin, then came back to take AP Spanish 2nd semester, he made a 3 on the exam.
- 6 students were heritage speakers, all 6 passed the exam
What I love about these results is that it reflects development of implicit knowledge of the language since none of these students received what Darcy referred to as explicit grammar instruction.
Contact Darcy Pippins directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have some TPRS/AP data or information that you would like to share? Email me at email@example.com